If you are living according to the flesh, you are about to die.
Paul the Apostle
Tom Holland: Contours of Pauline Theology “Section Two – Passover and Community Chapter 5 The Paschal Community and the Body of Sin / Chapter 6 The Paschal Community and the Eschatological Marriage / Chapter 7 The Paschal Community and Baptism
- “If you are living according to the flesh, you are about to die.” (Rom. 8:13)
- “I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is about to be revealed to us.” (Rom. 8:18)
- “It is already the hour for you to awaken from sleep; for now salvation is nearer to us than when we believed. The night is almost gone, and the day is at hand.” (Rom. 13:11-12)
- “The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.” (Rom. 16:20)
- “The time has been shortened.” (I Cor. 7:29)
- “The form of this world is passing away.” (I Cor. 7:31)
- “Now these things …were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.” (I Cor. 10:11)
- “We shall not all fall sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.” (I Cor. 15:51-52)
- “Maranatha!” [The Lord comes!] (I Cor. 16:22)
- “…not only in this age, but also in the one about to come.” (Eph. 1:21)
- “The Lord is near.” (Phil. 4:5)
- “The gospel …was proclaimed in all creation under heaven.” (Col. 1:23; Compare Matt. 24:14; Rom. 10:18; 16:26; Col. 1:5-6; II Tim. 4:17; Rev. 14:6-7; cf. I Clement 5,7)
- “…things which are a shadow of what is about to come.” (Col. 2:16-17)
- “…we who are alive, and remain until the coming of the Lord… …We who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds… …You, brethren, are not in darkness, that the Day should overtake you like a thief.” (I Thess. 4:15,17; 5:4)
- “May your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (I Thess. 5:23)
- “It is only just for God to repay with affliction those who afflict you, and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire.” (II Thess. 1:6-7)
- “Godliness …holds promise for the present life and that which is about to come.” (I Tim. 4:8)
- “I charge you …that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (I Tim. 6:14)
- “…storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for that which is about to come, so that they may take hold of that which is life indeed.” (I Tim. 6:19)
- “In the last days difficult times will come. For men will be lovers of self… …Avoid these men. For of these are those who enter into households and captivate weak women… …These also oppose the truth… …But they will not make further progress; for their folly will be obvious to all…” (II Tim. 3:1-2,5-6,8-9)
- “I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is about to judge the living and the dead…” (II Tim. 4:1)
- “God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son.” (Heb. 1:1-2)
- “Are they not all ministering spirits, sent out to render service for the sake of those who are about to inherit salvation?” (Heb. 1:14)
- “He did not subject to angels the world about to come.” (Heb. 2:5)
- “…and have tasted …the powers of the age about to come.” (Heb. 6:5)
- “For ground that drinks the rain which often falls upon it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God; but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and near a curse, and it’s end is for burning.” (Heb. 6:7-8)
- “When He said, ‘A new covenant,’ He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.” (Heb. 8:13)
- “The Holy Spirit is signifying this, that the way of the [heavenly] Holy Places has not yet been revealed, while the outer tabernacle is still standing, which is a symbol for the present time. Accordingly both gifts and sacrifices are offered which cannot make the worshiper perfect in conscience, since they relate only to food and drink and various washings, regulations for the body imposed until a time of reformation.” (Heb. 9:8-10; Compare Gal. 4:19; Eph. 2:21-22; 3:17; 4:13)
- “But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things about to come…” (Heb. 9:11)
- “Now once at the consummation of the ages He has been manifested to put away sin.” (Heb. 9:26)
- “For the Law, since it has only a shadow of the good things about to come…” (Heb. 10:1)
- “…as you see the Day drawing near.” (Heb. 10:25)
- “…the fury of a fire which is about to consume the adversaries.” (Heb. 10:27)
- “For yet in a very little while, He who is coming will come, and will not delay.” (Heb. 10:37)
- “For here we do not have a lasting city, but we are seeking the one that is about to come.” (Heb. 13:14)
Paul and the Jews @ Doctrine.net
“You will never begin to understand Preterist Eschatology until you realize the horrific antipathy which existed between Jesus and the Jewish leaders, between the early Christians and the Jews. Remember the “brood of vipers” in the Gospels? Remember the “synagogue of Satan” in Revelation? Remember Paul “serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials which came upon me through the plots of the Jews”?
Below you’ll see many verses from the book of Acts related to this suject. They are grouped together as an effort to remind the reader of the constant battle the early Christians had with the Jews, specially the apostle Paul.
Only then can we arrive at a proper historical context behind some very important Scriptures, only then can we understand that the still present Old Covenant was indeed “… becoming obsolete and growing old, and ready to disappear” (Hebrews 8:13).” – Doctrine.net
In The Acts of the Apostles
Acts 2:23 this Man, delivered up by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death.
Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know for certain that God has made Him both Lord and Christ – this Jesus whom you crucified.
Acts 3:13 but put to death the Prince of life, the one whom God raised from the dead, a fact to which we are witnesses.
Acts 4:3 And they laid hands on them, and put them in jail until the next day, for it was already evening.
Acts 4:10 … whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead …
Acts4:11 He is the stone which was rejected by you, the builderds, but which became the very cornerstone.
Acts 4:27 For truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom You did anoint, both Herod and Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel.
Acts 5:18 and they laid hands on the apostles, and put them in a public jail.
Acts 5:30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom you had put to death by hanging Him on a cross.
Acts 5:33 But when they heard this, they were cut to the quick and were intending to slay them.
Acts 5:40 … after calling the apostles in, they flogged them …
Acts 6:12 And they stirred up the people, the elders and the scribes, and they came upon him and dragged him away, and brought him before the Council.
Acts 7:52 Which one of the prophets did your fathers not persecute? And they killed those who had previously announced the coming of the Righteous One, whose betrayers and murderers you have now become.
Acts 7:58 And when they had drive him out of the city, they began stoning him…
Acts 8:1 … on that day a great persecution arose against the church, they were all scattered …
Acts 8:3 Saul began ravaging the church, entering house after house; and dragging off men and women, he would put them in prison.
Acts 9:2 … if he found any belonging to the Way, both men and women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.
Acts 9:23 And when many days had elapsed, the Jews plotted together to do away with him.
Acts 9:29 And he was talking and arguing with the Hellenistic Jews; but they were attempting to put him to death.
Acts 10:39 … and they also put Him to death by hanging Him on a cross.
Acts 12:2 … Herod the king laid hands on some who belonged to the church, in order to mistreat them, putting James the brother of John to death with a sword.
Acts 13:28 And though they found no ground for putting Him to death, they asked Pilate that He be executed.
Acts 13:45 But when the Jews saw the crowds, they were filled with jealousy, and began contradicting the things spoken by Paul, and were blaspheming.
Acts 13:50 But the Jews … instigated a persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and drove them out of their district.
Acts 14:2 But the Jews who disbelieved stirred up the minds of the Gentiles, and embittered them against the brethren.
Acts 14:5 And when an attempt was made by both the Gentiles and the Jews with their rulers, to mistreat and to stone them.
Acts 14:19 But Jews … stoned Paul and dragged him out of the city, supposing him to be dead.
Acts 15:5 … it is necessary to circumcise them, and to direct them to observe the Law of Moses.
Acts 17:5 But the Jews … formed a mob and set the city in an uproar; and coming upon the house of Jason, they were seeking to bring them to the people.
Acts 17:13 But when the Jews of Thessalonica found out … they came there likewise, agitating and stirring up the crowds.
Acts 18:6 And when they resisted and blasphemed, he shook out his garmenets and said to them, Your blood be upon your own heads, I am clean. Fron now on I shall go to the Gentiles.
Acts 18:12 … the Jews with one accord rose up against Paul and brought him before the judgment seat.
Acts 18:17 And they took hold of Sosthenes, the leader of the synagogue, and began beating him in front of the judgment seat …
Acts 19:9 But when some were becoming hardened and disobedient, speaking evil of the Way before the multitude…
Acts 20:3 … and when a plot was formed against him by the Jews as he was about to set sail for Syria …
Acts 20:19 serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials which came upon me through the plots of the Jews;
Acts 21:11 … in this way the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man who owns this belt…
Acts 21:27 … the Jews from Asia, upon seeing him in the temple, began to stir up all the multitude and laid hands on him.
Acts 21:31 And while they were seeking to kill him …
Acts 21:36 for the multitude of the people kept following behind, crying out, Away with him.
Acts 22:22 … Away with such a fellow from the earth, for he should not be allowed to live.
Acts 23:13 And when it was day, the Jews formed a conspiracy and bound themselves under an oath, saying that they would neither eat nor drink until they had killed Paul.
Acts 23:21 … more than forty of them are lying in wait for him …
Acts 24:6 … And we wanted to judge him according to our own Law.
Acts25:3 … setting an ambush to kill him on the way.
Acts 25:7 … the Jews who had come down from Jerusalem stood around him, bringing many and serious charges against him which they could not prove.
Date: 31 Aug 2003
Paul did not die: For it written, He that liveth and beliveth in me shall never die > jesus Christ the Word of God < The flesh profited nothing.
Date: 26 Sep 2003
was Paul ever married.
Date: 04 Nov 2003
Paul did die. He died in the flesh. His soul however lives on in heaven with our Lord Jesus Christ. And I do not recall the Bible ever mentioning that Paul was married. He was constantly on the move, so I doubt that he had time for marriage.
Date: 04 Dec 2003
There was no Paul to Die. Just as the old Saul came to an end so did Paul, so Paul said “No longer live I, but Christ.”Paul realised that grace that freed him from the Body of death, as he said “Dying while living’. Paul in his Two Witness epistles Ephesians and Colossians, like Joshua and Caleb testified of his standing “And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ jesus” is in the Past tense.Paul realised that the flesh and blood man was never to enter the Kingdom of God. Paul knew he was already dead for he says ;”When Christ died THEN ALL HAVE DIED” and then he goes onto say “each in his own order’ that is of realisation.Paul knew what it was to be “present with the Lord” and of his true dwelling place “not made with hands, but eternal in the Heavens.” That is all true if “you walk by faith” but if you walk by sight of your natural senses, you will be waiting as all generations have done for ever.For Paul says “whatever that is not of Faith is sin.”
Date: 14 Jan 2004
I have studied the letters of the apostle paul for years. But never realized how much hostility from the jews was directed against him and the early followers of Christ. Not much has changed to this day. Christians remain the object of attack by those who hate Christ, God. Thanks for your expert and sacrificial research….W. J. ATKIN.(email@example.com
Date: 23 Jan 2004
The Jewish HOUSE OF JESUS (See SEPTUAGINT, Ezra 2:36) was captive/exiled in 6th century b.c. Babylon. They were part of the “saved” remnant that was allowed to return to Jerusalem after Babylon fell to Persia in 539 b.c., coupled with the issuance of Cyrus of Persia’s Edict of Repatriation the following year in 538 b.c. The fall of Babylon and the Edict of Repatriation fulfilled the Lord’s prophesy through Jeremiah. The 6th century b.c. was the historical milieu of the destruction of the First Temple in Jerusalem. I noticed in the lst century a.d. New Testament letter titled FIRST PETER at 5:l3 the clandestine message: “Greetings from her who dwells in Babylon . . .” The lst century a.d. marked the destruction of the Second Temple in Jerusalem. Is the lineage of the 6th century b.c. Jewish HOUSE OF JESUS being alluded to in a covert manner in lst Peter 5:l3? Based upon the following works I will suggest a proposal to the riddle regarding the number of the beast (666) at Revelation l3:l8. The Book of Daniel 4:l6 mentions that God gave Nebuchadnezzer the mind of a beast; The 2nd century b.c. apocryphal work titled JUDITH refers to Nebuchadnezzer variously as “Lord of the whole world” , “Who is God except Nebuchadnezzer”, and “All nations shall call upon Nebuchadnezzer as God.” Midrash Rabbah Ecclesiastes referts to the Roman emperor Trajan as “a descendant of Nebuchadnezzer.” My proposal for 666 is: NEBEKEDNESSER, that is, the Greek letters: Nu (50) + Eta (8) + Beta (2) + Eta (8) + Kappa (20) + Eta (8) + Delta (4) + Nu (50) + Eta (8) + Sigma (200) + Sigma (200) + Eta (8) + Rho (l00) = 666. For 6l6, I propose Kaisar Theos (Lord God); for 606, Bael Marduk (My lord marduk); for 646, Amil Marduk (Man of Marduk); for 747, Apaol Marduk (Heir of Marduk); and for 665, a transliteration into Hebrew of the Greek word for beast (Therion), (from right to left: Tav (400) + Resh (200) + He (5) + Yod (l0) + Nun (50) = 665. [Walter C. Cambra, A.A.,B.A.,B.A.,M.A.,(FRC)(MAFA)]
Date: 23 Jan 2004
Although THE BIBLE gives us the number of the beast (666) at Revelation l3:l8, nowhere does it give us the number 888 for Jesus’ name spelled in Greek! 888 is found, however, in book one of THE SIBYLLINE ORACLES. THE SIBYLLINE ORACLES contain numerous riddles that are to be solved by employing the numerical values assigned to the Greek alphabet around the 8th to 6th centuries b.c. All the riddles have been solved except the very first one, also in book one, regarding the enigmatic 9 lettered name for the FATHER of Jesus. I propose the following solution (despite forthcoming objections): THEOCHRISTU, that is, the Greek letters, Theta (9) + Eta (8) + Omicron (70)+ Chi (600) + Rho (l00) + Iota (l0) + Sigma (200) + Tau (300) + Upsilon (400) = l697.
Date: 23 Jan 2004
According to THE KABALAH OF NUMBERS by Sepharial, the numbers 666 and 888 denote, respectively, the lower/animal nature AND the higher/divine nature. What, then, does the numerical value total of l697 denote for the FATHER of Jesus (in book one of THE SIBYLLILNE ORACLES [the last unsolved riddle in series])? I suggest that l697 conceals two occult features. First, it conceals the cipher for “THE MESSENGER GOD OF LIGHT,” Second, it concealss the knowledge of the time it takes sunlight to reach the earch when the earth is farthest in its orbit from the sun. The first occult feature is made intelligible in the following manner: Add together each integer of l697, namely, l + 6 + 9 + 7 = 23; then take each individual integer of 23, namely, 2 + 3 = 5 and add them together. 5 is the last single integer which then corresponds with a COSMIC PRINCIPLE, namely, “THE MESSENGER GOD OF LIGHT.” [Recall tht both the Old and New Testament symbolize the GODHEAD as LIGHT, namely: Psalm l04:2; lst Letter of John l:5-6; 2nd Corinthians 4:6; and The Gospel of John l2:44-46 has Jesus state, “I HAVE COME INTO THE WORLD AS LIGHT.” The second occult feature is made intelligible in the following manner: It takes 8 minutes and 29 seconds for sunlight to reach the earth when the earth is farthest in its orbit from the sun. According to David R. Fideler, in his work titled JESUS CHRIST SUN OF GOD, the numbers l, l0, l00, l000 are all symbolical of unity or the source. Therefore, let l minute (60 seconds) be equivalent to l00. Then, 29 seconds would be equivalent to stating 48.5 It follows that 8 minutes and 29 seconds would be equivalent to stating 800 + 48.5 = 848.5 Now, using the earth as the midpoint of sunlight’s journey from its source and, then, reflected back to its source would be equivalent to stating: 848.5 + 848.5 = l697 (The numerical value total of THEOCHRISTU). [Walter C. Cambra]
Date: 24 Jan 2004
The strangely small number of men Abram chose (3l8) to pursue and defeat the confederate kings led by king Kedorlaomer of Elam (in The Book of Genesis) may well be explained by the numerical value total for the Greek word for SUN (“HELIOS”), that is, in Greek: Eta (8) + Lambda (30) + Iota (l0) + Omicron (70) + Sigma (200) = 3l8. Notice that the Lord didn’t rain down fire and brimstone on Sodom and Gomorrah UNTIL Abram’s newphew, Lot, entered the small town of Zoar while the SUN was rising that morning! [Walter C. Cambra]
Date: 21 Mar 2004
Paul was not really even an apostle he was not one to the original twelve. He never even attended school and others wrote what he said. Paul whose former name was Saul had to change it in order to dodge the authorities whom he didn’t pay taxes.
Date: 22 Mar 2004
The comment I want to add is that according to the bible Paul was never married, but according to the Hendrin he had to be in order to be a member. Other thing I want to asked is: how does normal people fall into the gay and lesbian life. How we as Christians beheave when the lesbians and gays start going to our churches?
Date: 12 Apr 2004
Some religious scholars say that Paul was stood up at the altar and therefore dispised woman, thus the reason why he wrote “Women should be seen and not heard in church.” Is this true?
Date: 07 May 2004
I think that the apostles are repeatedly in court, like when Saul watched Stepehn, and later when Paul is in court himself for preaching Jesus, and repeatedly the courts can’t find anything wrong with what they have done. They always refer back to a group of jews who have complaints about the apostles causing commotion, but it’s not enough to go execute them. The way the courts aren’t finding things wrong, seems to mean that it is not a large group of jews, most jews etc. but just a small group. The Jews are the ones persecuting the apostles becuause the apostles are preaching to the jews. Sure some will persecute them. Others made up the Christian church. I do not agree with this websites take on Jewish hatred. I would postulate that most Jews were indifferent – like the people in the court system. My concern over this page, is what the authors aim is. Hopefully it’s just honest and not some page out to point the finger at the jews.
Date: 03 Oct 2004
some back ground on paul
Date: 11 Oct 2004
No Paul never married. According 1 COr. 7:8 it says, “Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am.” So at least up to that point it is scripturally proven. Who knows what his life consisted of prior to his conversion and what he gave up.
Date: 02 Feb 2006
acctualy paul did’nt invent christianity, it mean that believers and a follower of Jesus Christ right.
Date: 19 Feb 2006
why?acts 2:38 not on this list to me that was the
most important things us christians must fallow and understand that its the one baptizum mentioned
in the bible because the power is in the name of JESUS CHRIST NOT IN THE TITLES. COMMEN SENCE TELLS US THAT THE WORDS FATHER,SON&HOLYGHOST,ARE ALL TITLES,HOWEVER THESE THREE ARE ONE AND HAVE ONE NAME AND THE NAME IS JESUS CHRIST SO BROTHERS AND SISTERS PLESE READ THE BIBLE CAREFULY EVERY ONE IN THE BIBLE WAS BAPTIZED IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST A-MEN
Date: 03 Mar 2006
Was Paul married?? I believe he was at one time he was. Weather at the time he was aspiring to be on the Sanhedrin..in which I believe you had to have been a father/family man as well (have children…wife..you know…). Most Israelites after converting to Christianity were ostracize from their families and communities. Funneral services were held for the new converts by family members in regard to being totally cut off from their Jewish hereitage. I believe that many of the early disciples and apostles were divorced and or cut off from their families totally. This is only logical in veiw of historical events. HOW MUCH MORE MIGHT THIS HAPPEN IN TODAYS WORLD??????
Allow the Spirit of the Word to guide you and not the letter. Thanks.
Date: 03 Apr 2009
Was Paul married at sometime? Did you have to be married to be on the Sanhedrin Council
Date: 26 Feb 2011
While the destruction of Jerusalem is a type of Christs coming it is not His 2nd coming in full.The Gehenna was indeed measured to the Jews in a national way, but the Gehenna to come in the Great White Throne Judgement awaits all unbelievers where all will be humbled and given repentance and faith to believe in the death and resurrection of Christ on the cross.