If we are seeking a reasonable definition of the word antisemitism, then Christian Zionism is here accused of being inherently antisemitic.
Seeking a Non-Sectarian Definition
According to many, the long standing “replacement theology” of historical Christianity is antisemitic. Some say that an anti-Semite is anyone opposed politically to a Zionist state… But there are a large number of anti-Zionist Jews in the world. Any definition that considers these Jewish people guilty of anti-Semitism is not reasonable. This section is presented to help discern the line between political opposition and racial bias.
FROM PDF BIBLIOGRAPHY:
- Notices of the Jews by the Classic Writers
- Works Relating to Jews in the New York Library
- 1543: Martin Luther, The Jews and Their Lies | Sourcebook – Therefore, a Christian should be satisfied and not quarrel with the Jews. But if you think you must or desire to talk with them, do not say more than this: “Do you hear, Jew, do you know that your principality together with the temple and priesthood are destroyed now for 1460 years? For this year, as we Christians write after the birth of Christ 1543, it is exactly 1469 years, and is thus going on 1500 years since Vespasianus and Titus destroyed Jerusalem and expelled the Jews from it.” On this little nut let the Jews bite and dispute among themselves as long as they want to.
- 1730: Nathaniel Lardner: A Collection of Jewish and Heathen Testimonies to the Truth of the Christian Religion, V1 | V2 | V3 | V4
- 1771: Joseph Eyre, Observations on the Prophecies Relative to the Restoration of the Jews
- 1820: T. Clarke, The Wandering Jew
- 1853: David Hoffman, Chronicles of the Wandering Jew
- 1831: Moses Stuart, Jewish Conversion
- 1832: I.R. Park, Controversy with a Jewish Rabbi on Prophecy
- 1889-1908: Abrahams-Montefiore, Jewish Quarterly Review – INDEX | V1 | V2 | V3 | V4 | V5 | V6 | V7 | V8 | V9 | V10 | V11 | V12 | V13 | V14 | V15| V16 | V17 | V18 | V19 | V20
- 1898: I. Abrahams, A Hitherto Unknown Messianic Movement Among the Jews
- 1899: I. Abrahams, Psudeo-Josephus, Joseph Ben-Gorion
- 1899: James Montgomery, The Religion of Flavius Josephus
- 1899: I. Abrahams,The Spiritual Possibilities of Judaism Today
- 1890: I. Abrahams, The Jewish Sibylline Oracles
- 1891: I. Abrahams, The Sabbath Light
- 1893: I. Abrahams, The Emperor Julian and the Jews
- 1894: I. Abrahams, Brune’s ‘Flavius Josephus’
- 1895: I. Abrahams, The Referenes to the ‘King’ in the Psalter
- 1896: K. Kohler, The Essenes and the Apocalyptic Literature
- 1896: Nina Davis, A Dirge for the Ninth of Ab
- 1896: I. Abrahams, Priests and Worship in the Last Decade of the Temple at Jerusalem
- 1897: I. Abrahams, The Messiah Ideal
- 1909: Rabbi Ed Calisch, The Jew in English Literature
- 1910-1923: Adler-Schechter, Jewish Quarterly Review – V1 | V2 | V3 | V4 | V5 | V6 | V7 | V8 | V9 | V10 | V11 | V12
- Seder ‘Olam, by Alexander Marx, p. x). (Jews’ College Jubilee Volume, p. 26)
- 1910: Albert Schweitzer, The Quest of the Historical Jesus
- 1912: The Jewish Encyclopedia – V1 | V2 | V3 | V4 | V5 | V6 | V7 | V8 | V9
- 1921: The Fall of the Temple : A Study in the History of Dogma
- 1978: Meeks-Wilken, Jews and Christians in Antioch During the First Four Centuries
- 1984: David Rome, Early Antisemitism, V1 | V2 | V3 | V5
- 1994: Richard Bauckham, The Apocalypse of Peter – A Jewish Christian Apocalypse from the Time of Bar Kochba
- 1998: Avraham Ronen, Kaulbach’s Wandering Jew
- 2001: Henk de Jong, The Jews in the Gospel of John
- 2003: Robert Jones, Jewish Religious Parties at the Time of Christ: The Essenes – With what we now know about the Essenes, could John have been raised an Essene – in the desert – at Qumran? Certainly, the Essenes attached a lot of importance to water purification.
- 2004: Daniel Marguerat, Jewish and Christian Understandings of the Fall of Jerusalem
- 2006: Kenneth Jones, Aftermath of the Jewish Revolt: AD-66-70
- 2007: Myles Ramas, Titus’ Speech to the Jews
Points of View on AD70:
Charles Merivale – “The most soul-stirring struggle in all ancient history.” “The overthrow of Judea, with all the monuments of ancient but still living civilization, was the greatest crime of the conquering republic. It was commenced in wanton aggression and was effected with a barbarity of which no other example occurs in the records of civilization.” (Romans Under the Empire, Vol. 7, Chapter 59, p. 251)
Philip Schaff – “history records no other instance of such obstinate resistance, such desperate bravery and contempt of death.” “Thus, therefore, must one of the best Roman emperors execute the long-threatened judgment of God ; and the most learned Jew of his time describe it and thereby, without will or knowing it, bear testimony to the truth of the prophecy and the divinity of Jesus Christ, the rejection of whom brought all this and the subsequent misfortunes upon the apostate race.” (History, Vol. 1, pp. 379, 397)
There has been much hatred spread towards Jewish people with AD70 as the backdrop. A certain sneering at the Jewish people – primarily justified using the rejection of their King – rears its ugly head at times. The passion plays in Alcasar’s Spain were particularly grotesque in their smearing of all things Jewish. However, there is no such agenda here, or generally among nominal preterists.
Note Matthew 24:34 and its use of the word “generation“: Preterism has long limited the period of God’s active wrath against national Israel to the first century. There is no connection made to today’s Israel, aside from the fact that all men everywhere are called to repent.
The Christian Zionist, on the other hand, attempts to identify the generation in question as the entire race of the Jews.
If we are seeking a reasonable definition of the word antisemitism, then Christian Zionism is here accused of being inherently antisemitic, whereas to identify God’s active wrath at Israel as limited to the particular generation then living is not.
NOTE: Though much material on this page is potentially inflammatory, please respect that many views are being fully presented here. There is no latent Jewish hatred hidden for the sake of political advantage. Most Preterists do not share the opinion of Christian Zionists, who believe that Jews will be slaughtered in a future apocalypse.
- 2005: James Besser, Links to Christian Zionists Pose Peril – The theology of many Christian Zionists states there can be no peace for Israel until the longed-for ‘second coming’ of Jesus, and that, in fact, the ‘end times’ will include efforts to deceive the world with false promises of peace.
The common argument which accuses preterists of teaching “replacement theology” is invalid because the covenant PRE-DATES the Jewish nation. The Old Covenant was the replacement of the everlasting covenant, as shown in the law which was given at Horeb, alongside that of Moab:
Philip Mauro: “But Moses interceded for the people; and God spared the people, and commanded Moses to lead them to the land He had promised to Abraham, Isaac, and to Jacob 33:1; and He made with them another covenant (34:10); which covenant, in respect to what was promised thereby, was very inferior to the covenant they had broken; for this substituted covenant (which was not a blood covenant) was restricted to the terms and conditions upon which God would permit them to continue in possession of the land of Canaan. Those terms and conditions are set forth in detail in the book of Deuteronomy; where, after the recital of them, Moses writes “These are the words of the covenant which the Lord commanded Moses to make with the children of Israel in the land of Moab, beside the covenant which He made with them in Horeb” (Deut. 29:1).” (The Hope of Israel, ch. 5)
POSITION #1: ISRAEL IS A PROPER NAME FOR JESUS CHRIST – Given to Jacob as a typological placeholder.
JESUS CHRIST IS ISRAEL
THE SUM TOTAL OF BIBLE PROPHECY IS FOUND IN JESUS PROPHECY UNITED BOTH HISTORICALLY (HORIZ) & PERSONALLY (VERT) AT CALVARY:
“For all the promises of God, whatever their number, have their confirmation in Him; and for this reason through Him also our “Amen” acknowledges their truth and promotes the glory of God through our faith.“
“The days will come upon you when (B) your enemies will build an embankment against you and encircle you and hem you in on every side. They will not leave one stone on another, because (A) you did not recognize the time of God’s coming to you.”
“I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.”
“THE MYSTICAL NAME ISRAEL LITERALLY MEANS ‘PRINCE OF GOD’” (University of Cambridge Hebrew Professor Samuel Lee)
Jesus/Yeshua is the builder of the tabernacle of David — He is the great King, both of the temporal and eternal worlds. His supremacy over Jews as well as Gentiles is prophetically seen in Abraham’s role as the father of both Ishmael and Isaac. In Jesus Christ alone is the pattern of the Old Covenant body realized in His eternal glorious “One Body” — The Body of Christ, The House of David (Isaiah 22:22) — the “Israel of God” (Gal 6:15-16).
- Exodus 4:22 “Israel is my son, even my firstborn”
- Hosea 11:1 “When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.”
- Matthew 2:15 “And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son. “
- Zechariah 6:12 “Thus speaketh the Lord of Hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH: and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the Lord.”
- Isaiah 22:20,21 “And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will call my servant Eliakim the son of Hilkiah: And I will clothe him with thy robe, and strengthen him with thy girdle, and I will commit thy government into his hand: and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah.”
POSITION #2: REJECTION OF ISRAEL BRINGS DESTRUCTION
Jeremiah 2:3 “Israel was holiness unto the Lord, and the firstfruits of his increase: all that devour him shall offend; evil shall come upon them, saith the Lord.”
There are two sides to the coin of ancient Israel’s history. The touch of God upon the pinnacle of Sinai must be balanced against the touch of God upon the pinnacle of the temple in A.D.70. The first was felt at the formation of the nation, the latter at its dissolution. It is important to realize that Preterists don’t see the fall of Jerusalem in AD70 as punishment from God for the murder of Christ, as much as the natural consequence of having rejected him. in other words, the Jewish nation destroyed itself by rejecting Jesus as Israel.
Hosea 13:9 “O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself; but in me is thine help.”
“I Come Quickly” – Begins and Ends Jesus’ Revelation
“Incidentally, if a person makes an argument that is, in fact, “racist,” etc, shouldn’t that fact be self-evident? Simply restating the argument ought to demonstrate the bigotry — if bigotry it is — without a big warning label screaming “Racist!” “Sexist!” or “Anti-Semitic!” A false argument should be refuted, not named. That’s the basic idea behind freedom of speech. Arguments by name-calling, rather than truth and light, can generally be presumed fraudulent.(Ann Coulter, “Shut up, He Explained” October 15, 1999)
On “replacement theology”“This whole gang is a bunch of unbelievers that have been around for a long time. You can’t read the Bible and replace Israel, it’s craziness. It’s mentioned on every page. All the writers are Jewish, cover to cover. There’s no point to that, other than anti-Semitism. It started way back with St. Augustine, who had good intentions. He saw that Israel was dispersed. He couldn’t think how could God do this. He didn’t have the vision to see that He’s going to bring them and restore them to the land, and he didn’t read the Scriptures evidently, but he started this system that its the church that’s replaced Israel. It’s crazy.”
Woodrow Kroll (Dispy Premillennialist)
“THE SACRED WALL OF THE JEWS. The Temple of Solomon was situated on an enlarged Mount Moriah. The expanded area was buttressed by restraining walls. When Herod rebuilt the temple, he extended these (restraining) walls even farther. Many Christians mistakenly identify the Western Wall with that of Solomon’s Temple; it is not. In fact, it is not even the wall of the Second Temple, but it is part of the retaining wall of that temple.” (Bible Country, A Journey Through the Holy Land, p. 159)Kuenen (1874) “we ourselves, as Christians, are so greatly indebted to Israel, we should yet desire to become acquainted with the origin and growth of a religion which has achieved so many conquests. It appears here, if anywhere, how unreasonable it would be to ‘despise the day of small things’ for here we are reminded of ‘the grain of mustard seed, which indeed is the least of all seeds, but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.’”
JEWS FOR JUDAISM
The Anti-Missionary List (The Truth of Judaism) | Christianity Revealed: Those numerous predictions that Jesus failed to complete during his sojourn on planet earth will, they allege, be fulfilled when he returns a second time. For utter deception this ploy has no equal. Using that subterfuge, anyone could claim to be the messiah. Besides, all this points out is the fact that Jesus failed his first time around! The Second Coming concept is nothing more than a Christian ruse to conceal blatant shortcomings on the part of Jesus.
Jewish view of failure of Christ’s return – “Jesus did not come back “quickly,” as promised, to judge mankind. The time has long past that one can claim Jesus will come back “quickly.” Thus, what we have in Revelation 22:20 is a false prophecy.” Jews for Judaism
– “These various statements reveal that the myth of the “second coming” was explained in different ways as the interval following Jesus’ death lengthened.” Jews for Judaism
– “Apparently, the early Christian community was convinced of the imminent return of Jesus, as the Messiah, and the inauguration of the kingdom of God. It never happened.” Jews for Judaism
– “The expectation of Paul and the other New Testament authors was for the speedy arrival of the second coming in their generation. The use of “for yet a little while,” “shortly,” “the time is near,” and “I am coming quickly” point to the utter failure of the predictions that Jesus was coming a second time to do what he did not accomplish the first time.” Jews for Judaism
– “There was to be fulfillment within the lifetimes of certain individuals alive at the time Jesus made the promise and following upon certain cataclysmic events which were to be witnessed by that generation. These events never occurred and the time for their occurrence has long since passed.” Jews for Judaism
– “The second epistle of Peter is a late attempt to explain away the obvious fact that the second coming did not arrive at its appointed time.” Jews for Judaism
– “It should be noted that these “tribulations” were not fulfilled in the events of the years 66-73 C.E., the period of the First Jewish-Roman War. Jesus’ own statement shows that the culmination of the “tribulation period” was to see the parousia, the second coming of Jesus (Mark 13:26; Matthew 24:3, 30), which certainly did not occur during the war nor subsequently.” Jews for Judaism
EARLY CHRISITAN WRITINGS
LABELING PATRISTIC WRITINGS ANTISEMITISM IS UNREASONABLE AND UNACCEPTABLE. Any discussion of antisemitism should probably only refer to the period of the current State of Israel.
- Athanasius (Fourth Century)
- Aurelius Augustin
- The Epistle of Barnabus – The Jewish Sacrifices are Now Abolished.
- Chrysostom (346-407)
- Adversus Judaeos – Homilies on Fourth Century Judaism
- Clement of Alexandia
- Cyprian (Third Century)
- Eusebius of Caesarea – Fourth Century
- Gregory of Nyssa
- On Virginity (Fourth Century)
- Irenaeus (Second Century)
- Martin Luther – Sparked Protestant Reformation
- On the Jews and Their Lies (1540) “I had made up my mind to write no more either about the Jews or against them. But since I learned that those miserable and accursed people do not cease to lure to themselves even us, that is, the Christians, I have published this little book, so that I might be found among those who opposed such poisonous activities of the Jews and who warned the Christians to be on their guard against them.”
- Justin Martyr (Second Century)
- Epistle of Mathetes (Second Century)
- Origenes (Fourth Century)
- An Answer to the Jews (210) “IT happened very recently a dispute was held between a Christian and a Jewish proselyte. Alternately with contentious cable they each spun out the day until evening. By the opposing din, moreover, of some partisans of the individuals, truth began to be overcast by a sort of cloud. It was therefore our pleasure that that which, owing to the confused noise of disputation, could be less fully elucidated point by point, should be more carefully looked into, and that the pen should determine, for reading purposes, the questions handled.”
- Veronica, Legend of
- The Avenging of the Saviour (7th or 8th Century) “THIS version of the legend of Veronica is written in very barbarous Latin, probably of the seventh or eighth century.”